Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guardian interview about Bread & Roses
‘Why the silence? Why the inaction? It breaks my heart’: Malala and Jennifer Lawrence

Great interview.  About more than just Afghanistan.

Quote:Strong women are not easy women,” says Jennifer Lawrence, “and a woman’s life is lonely. So much of our experience cannot be shared or understood by men, and our rights are in their hands. That’s why we need each other.”

Quote:the Taliban behaving like this is not unexpected; the tacit complicity of loved ones feels the greater betrayal. Or perhaps that’s too strong a word?

“Not strong enough of a word,” says Lawrence. “Of course it’s a betrayal. We of course felt that betrayal when our supreme court turned over Roe v Wade. How can you not see me as an equal? It doesn’t decrease the amount of abortions, it just increases the amount of death. Women die. It’s a massive betrayal.”

Quote:One of the outcomes of that ire today is that she refers to her day job as “purely just a way to be able to get a film like this made”. Using her platform “makes me feel a little hopeless. But it’s something. Obviously it was scary to reach out to Sahra and offer to get her funds and equipment. There were many people in my life that didn’t want me to get involved in something that would make the Taliban not like me. It’s scary and it is overwhelming, but the scariest possible outcome is ignoring it and pretending like it’s not happening.”

In regards to what Jen said about the U.S.:
Emergency rooms refused to treat pregnant women, leaving one to miscarry in a lobby restroom
[-] The following 5 users Like sunworshipper's post:
  • astadog93512, Betty, faustus5, Grizbat83, priyanka969